The Art Lab Association
Monthly Art lessons in watercolour, gouache and mixed media!
Welcome to the Art Lab Association! this course is going to give you monthly lessons in mainly watercolour and gouache, although we may be adding some mixed media into the mix too!
Every month you will get a brand new, in depth, video tutorial. We will be learning about various watercolour techniques, painting portraits and illustrative animals, leaves and flowers, backgrounds and more!
Here are previous artworks of mine that give you an idea of the kind of projects we will be doing.
This community may evolve and change as time goes on - adapting to the needs of students (so, for example, if students as for a certain tutorial I will do my best to help and deliver!)
We will look at:
- colour mixing
- how to apply watercolours in various ways to get different effects
- how to plan out your paintings so you know what parts to paint when to get the results you want
- how to paint various animals
- how to draw and paint a face in various poses
- patterns and flowers for gorgeous backgrounds
- adding details to your paintings using a few other mediums such as acrylic inks, metallic paints or coloured pencils
- hints and tips on what kinds of paper to use, how to prepare it for painting, etc
- and much much more!
As well as that you will get a downloadable PDF document to support your lesson, and support from myself (and other students) by connecting in my facebook group, Lucy's Art Lab. You can also comment in each classroom section with your work or any questions and I will give you personal feedback and support here too.
This course is on a monthly subscription basis. If you join in the course once it has started you will have access to all previous lessons that have been published! If you decide at any time you wish to leave then you can simply cancel your subscription! The videos will be downloadable so that you can download them if your internet is slow for streaming. You can watch the lesson at a time that is suitable to you at any time during the month, and even later. You can watch the lessons as many times as you wish too!
All of this is available for the low monthly fee of only $12! (please note that VAT is applicable in some countries so the amount may look slightly different to you depending on the country you are in) That is the cost of only a few take away coffees and works out cheaper than paying outright for a course as you will get much more content!
Below you can find a list of the types of media you will need. This is a general list and in no way comprehensive, but I will post a supply list for each class as each one is published. I am going to try and keep the supplies to a minimum and similar for most lessons so you do not need to panic and feel the need to buy lots of extra art supplies! In week one, I will post a comprehensive list of supplies that will be used regularly throughout the course, with links on where to buy and substitutions should you not have exactly what I suggest.
I hope to see you in the classroom soon! Come and join the association of artists at Lucy's Art Lab!
For this class we will mostly be concentrating on watercolour and gouache, with a few extras thrown in. Here is a quick list of the main materials:
- set of watercolours (any make will do, I shall talk more about watercolours in the classroom)
- set of gouache paints (again, brands and colours will be discussed in the class)
- various sizes of watercolour paintbrushes
- watercolour paper (I shall also discuss brands, weights etc in the classroom)
- coloured pencils
- white gouache or white acrylic ink or copic opaque white
- you may want some fancy extras like metallic watercolours
- masking tape
- it is handy but not necessary to have a Lightbox, and access to a printer for printing off reference photos
Hi there! I am an artist and art teacher living in the North East of Scotland. I have been teaching art to children for over 13 years and I also teach adult mixed media and monoprinting classes locally. I have taught in several online courses, including "Let's Face It" (with Kara Bullock), "Paint your Heart and Soul" (with Olga Furman) and "Lifebook" (with Tamara Laporte)
To date I have also launched two of my own online courses and am now migrating these over to the Teachable platform and look forward to making more!
Join my Facebook Group "Lucy's Art Lab" and join in the community!
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you so much for choosing to become a member of the Art Lab Association! Lets have fun painting together as a community!